Sunday, May 5, 2013

Not Good At Anything

There was a time in my life where I was just sure I was going to try out for American Idol.  Don't misunderstand me, I can NOT sing.  I was intrigued by the fascination of the try out, and well, I really just like to sing loud to annoy my husband and family.  It began with a: "mimimimi...uh-hem,  The sun will come out tomorrow, betch your bottom dollar that tomorrow, there will be sun!"  The immediate response from my family was, "Oh no not again, she wants to be the next American Idol."

After a while, I decided that Idol was not my thing, I was going to be the Last Comic Standing.  I got jokes!  Really, I could tell you a few stories based on my crazy family that would make you laugh.   Then my husband and in-laws decided that I could not do that either.  "Your timing it just off, Miranda,"  or so they would jokingly say.

I moved on, I decided I wanted to be a speaker on the Women of Faith Tour.  The only problem was that I didn't have a tragic life, or a theology degree, so I settled that I had no qualifications for such a position.

God has a funny way of changing my perspective.  As I look at the things I have wanted to do in my life, the common denominator is that they were all about me.  I wanted fame and success, because something I did.  I wanted to be on stage because of something I said.

I have learned something, that has changed my life.  The way to find what I am really good at, the way to find real happiness in my life has been in obedience to God.  You see,  I believe God gives everyone gifts.  The key is that when you are given a gift, it is to GLORIFY GOD, not yourself.  The major flaw in all my life "plans" so far have been that they were to glorify me.

Fast forward to today.  I am staring down a new path. I am now a facilitator for Beauty from Ashes.  That means I lead a group for the ministry, and the reality is, I just ask God to give me everything.  I do nothing, and HE accomplishes everything.  I pray, I ask for his guidance.  He shows up every time and gives me and the ladies everything we each need to accomplish HIS GOALS.  It is like what Hebrews 2:10 says:  "God is the One who made all things, and all things are for HIS glory."  All I have to do is be faithful and obedient.

My next great adventure starts in the fall, Preschool teacher!  Yes, you read that right.  I am going to be in a room full of four year olds next year. Never in a million years, would I have imagined this is where God wanted me, but here I stand ready to serve God.   I feel a calling to be with those kiddos.  I feel as though God is trusting me with planting the seeds of His love.  He has shown me great love.  While I am sure there will be days that  I will wonder what I have gotten into; I know that based on his word, He will equip me for what lies ahead.

For years, I always wondered how I would know what my calling is?  How do I know what I am good at?  It has taken me awhile, but I have discovered that finding what I am good at has nothing to do with me, it has to do with serving God and serving others.  I have said many times over many blogs, that the Bibles says we are called to love one another.  It is interesting, how much I have loved worrying about me, and what I need and what I am gong to do.  The minute I stopped and focused on what God wanted and what God has called all of us to do and be, the good just happened.

This week, I would encourage you to look past yourself and love out.  Offer your time to someone other than yourself, and maybe you will stumble across the same thing I did.  I found that I am no good at anything, when I am not including and glorifying God.

 
Philippians 1
9 This is my prayer for you: that your love will grow more and more; that you will have knowledge and understanding with your love;  10 that you will see the difference between good and bad and will choose the good;

This is my mindset, now let me hear yours!



No comments:

Post a Comment