Wednesday, August 31, 2011

What exactly is too Churchy?

It was brought to my attention that some of my blogs are “heavy.”  I can only translate this as too Churchy.  Now I realize that Churchy is not an actual word, but y’all know what I mean. 

I will just say a few things on the subject.  First, I believe in the Apostles Creed.  The Apostles Creed goes like this:

I believe in God the Father, almighty maker of heaven and maker of earth, and in Jesus Christ His only begotten Son, our Lord. He was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilot, He was crucified, buried, and dead.  He ascended into Heaven and on the third day, he rose again! He ascended into Heaven where He sits at God’s mighty right hand. I believe that he is returning to judge the quick, and the dead, and the sons of men. I believe in the Holy Spirit, one Holy Church, the communion of Saints the forgiveness of sins, and I believe in the resurrection. I believe in life that never ends.

The band Third Day does a great song of this creed.  The lyrics that follow the creed say, “I believe what I believe; it’s what makes me who I am.  I did not make it. No! It is making me.  It is the very truth of God and not the invention of any man!”


Now if you feel this is too Churchy, well, let me also explain why I need God in my everyday life.  It would be simple to say please, just watch the evening news!  However, there are smaller issues that need addressing regularly with me.  I have discussed on many occasions my lack of obedience, which coincides with a lack of discipline.  These are things I pray about, but even more than that, I need God for the even smaller issues.

I need to remember God when I am driving.  If I did not have God, then most people would get the finger from me, when they cut me off on the highway, or worse when they do not know how to yield!  That is not to say that I have never slipped up on that one.  I also need God when I stub my toes, because it is in that moment that my mouth automatically wants to shout, “OH ---- pick an expletive.”

Although I firmly believe that praying for patience is a prayer foul, I do need it.  My definition of a patience prayer foul is simple, pray for patience get tested until you finally get it.  That is usually not fun.  There have been occasions when I admit to my impatience, and the Lord and his sweet sense of humor put me in check. For example, the night I was trying to get my four year old to wash her hair in a timely manner.  I mentioned that I was not trying to be impatient, but she needed to hurry anyway.  She stood there, put her hands together in a prayer position and said, “Dear Lord, please help mommy not to be so impatient.”  As I contemplated my feelings, laughter and guilt, I decided I should be proud that she had in fact been listening about prayer.  I chalked it up to a win.

My churchy-ness is sometimes not just about sharing my Faith with others; it is also a reminder to me.  God calls us to love one another, and to be Christ like.  It is really hard to remember to love when you are too busy being upset over the little things.  For me, I take solace in the Bible and the promises it offers, and try to remember God has a plan for everything.  He has a plan for me, and He expects me to carry it out with the same mercy, grace, and love that he has given me.

I guess if you think I am being churchy, then be glad God calls me to be nice to you!  

No comments:

Post a Comment