Friday, October 28, 2011

Loving Old

I am still thinking about the Sermon from Sunday morning.  While I know there were great truths about Jesus being the Son of God, I am stuck thinking about the love.  My pastor talked about how as the world grows further away from God, love will dry up.  He mentioned that while we live in the word, it is easy to be jaded, cautious and untrusting.  He said that love will get harder the older we get because experience will teach us to be weary of being hurt or disappointed.

WOW, this totally changes my plans for old age!  I was already prepared to be that loud mouth old lady who says whatever she wants whenever she wants.  I want to “call them like I see them,” but it occurred to me that, this approach may not be the most loving.  My husband and I constantly remind each other that GOD calls us to love one another.  We think God may have also called us to ride in separate cars to church on Sunday, because there is less arguing that way!  Better yet, if every Sunday can be like this passed Sunday, when I was quiet before church, there was a remarkable difference in our love on the way to church! LOL.  For those of you who know me well, know that me being quiet for long is almost an impossibility.  After all, I love to hear myself talk, and I love to read myself blog too!  LOL

The incredible impact of what Pastor David preached about on Sunday is sitting in my heart and relating to all the wild things going on in our country.  I think that the Occupy Wall street people might proclaim that they are seeking peace and love, but I ask are they really?  Love is one of those words that is loaded far deeper than people really invest in it these days.  If we take our love and compare it to God’s standards, then it may be that we never truly love.  There is a whole chapter devoted to love in the New Testament.  In actuality, the whole Bible is about love, but in 1 Corinthians, there is a great definition for love.  

Our world today is so caught up in political correctness, but that means nothing if you do not have love.  Think about it, why would we need political correctness if we were all treating each other with love.  It is almost laughable that we have to legislate equality.  I saw a report earlier on a group that made their bake sale prices reflect affirmative action.  After watching the report, I thought what was meant to do good really only made the divide between race greater.  After all, if we are going to give a discount to one group shouldn’t it be to all groups?  What if you went to Macy’s and the prices were structured to reflect that the group you belong to absolutely never got a sale, I think it would hack you off after awhile.  God help you if you complained, you would be vilified.  Then in turn it is likely that resentment would form toward the sale group.

Now, let’s take this back to love.  Is there anyone who doesn’t love love?  Is there anyone who doesn’t want to share love, or feel love?  Love can give you wings, it can give you strength, and love can give you life.  I mean that literally, if you know Jesus Christ.  When the Bible says, “…That the greatest of these is love,” this is more profound than we allow it to be.  This is one of those “Churchy” verses, every one says it, everyone knows it, but how many of us live it every day?

Everyone has someone around that is hard to love.  Usually they are part of your family.  Just writing this, I can bring to mind a few that I find difficult to love.  There are two categories for me:  someone who has hurt me in some way, and then the type who drives me crazy with their crazy beliefs or lack of belief. (Let’s face it, I can almost not carry on a conversation with someone who is what I will politely call a raging liberal democrat.)  The thing about it is God calls me to love them anyway.  

How do you love a raging liberal democrat?  Or even more importantly how do you love that person who hurt you?  I think for me, I just have to tell myself over and over again, that God calls me to love.  Love means everyone, all the time, and then I have to hit my knees and pray really hard until I can love.
I guess I will change my old age plans and be the loud mouth old lady who is full of love and laughter.  I think I will redefine old from grumpy old to old and loving.  Although it sounds like a cliché, couldn’t we all use a little more love in our lives?

That is my mindset now tell me yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment