Sunday, February 10, 2013

Play ground conversations; the definition of marriage?

Because I can't get these things off my mind, I thought maybe writing about them, would give me some peace.  My heart aches over some of these circumstances........


I have never worked in a school before.  I have always been in the business world.  As far as work goes, it has always been customer service, or keeping an eye on how much production we have or don't have, and will sales be good or slow this month.  When I stepped out in faith and took a second part-time job at a school, I did not realize the things I would hear or see.   I believe kids deal with more than we did growing up BUT I had no idea the extent of how life for a child really has changed.

It was a little over a week ago that I had this conversation with my daughter.  She is five.  "Mommy, can a girl marry a girl?"  Me: "Why are you asking?"  Daughter: "Well, so-and-so asked so-and-so if a girl could marry another girl, and then so-and-so said you go to hell for that."  In my head I am having a moment of sheer panic.  I stood there, and thought, " Why are Kindergarteners having this discussion?  Why do they even know anything about gay marriage?"  My answer to her was simple and rooted in God's truth.  "Well, honey, God designed marriage for 1 man and 1 woman.  Marriage is something that happens when you get much older, and when the time is right God will show you who the right man is for you."

This conversation bothered me, because, I thought kids hear these things, worry and take it in, and then what?  I know that this is a controversial subject.  I know that some of you will read this and think of me as a hater because I define marriage as between 1 man and 1 woman.  I will say this then move on:  I believe that the Bible is God's Holy word.  In believing that, I believe he is clear on his opposition to this behavior, but I also believe that this sin is no different than any other sin.  The sin in my life is only different not any better.

Fast forward, one week, and our playground conversations have changed,  This time, it is two little girls.  They are upset because, one has asked about the other's mother.  Both girls do not have their moms.  Each of them have a different story, but still the same the mere mention of the word "mom" brings heartache to them both, and squabble on the playground.  I stand there, thinking to myself these poor babies, how can they function with such loss and confusion?  After it was settled, I spoke to each of them individually, to encourage them,  Right or wrong, this is what I said,"  God did not intend for you not to have your mom, he wanted you to have a wonderful mom, but in the absence of your mom, he will give you everything you need.  It may be found in your grandma, your aunt, your cousins, or your teachers, but he will give you all the love you need, because you are so loved by him."

I have also had to answer questions like, what happens if my dad gets shot?  This was asked after the news of an impending deployment came. My answer for this was given to me ahead of time, in the form of their weekly memorization verses.  Joshua 1:9  "Have I not commanded you?  Do not be afraid, nor dismayed because the Lord your God is with you wherever you go."  This is the same for deployed daddies, God is with them wherever they go. 

While I have had many silly conversations, I am astounded by what the kids of today hear, know and deal with.  My only conclusion is this we need to spend more time with our kids,  We need to teach them about God's unfailing love.  We need to be the example by which they set their standard.  There are so many children who build their ideas of right and wrong from television shows.  They take a little from here and there, and then build their own version of a moral compass.  The Bible says that we are to be the light.  It is in fact a very dark world out there and if our kids are going to learn to be the light, we must shine, and we must shine even brighter than ever before.  I heard an evangelist say in a sermon once, that we live in a critical time, because the signs are so clear that the end is near.  He proceeded to say it was no coincidence that God had selected us to live in such a time.  While the idea of the end, use to be a very scary subject for me, it is no longer.  I was inspired by this sermon, as that I was chosen to shine light at such a time as this.  I can't help but think of Esther 4: 14b
"And who knows but that you have come to your royal position for such a time as this?”

It is a hard world out there.  We spend a lot of time earning money to give our kids the best of everything, but are we giving them the best of us?  Our world needs more love.  As I write this , I think it needs more forgiveness, but then I cringe thinking of the things I have a hard time forgiving.  There is a reason the Bible says, faith, hope, and love but the greatest of these is love.  If you LOVE with a true heart, love will keep you from wanting to hurt some one.  That is a good way to start shining the light, LOVE ONE ANOTHER. 

As you go through this week, I hope you will think about the world our kids live in.  I pray that you will be motivated to change it, and I suggest you start with more love.  Give your family time, try loving even when you are too tired.

This is my mindset, now let me hear yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment